Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Me Schme

I was inspired reading this: a surefire method for experiencing joy

So, I've decided to start experiencing joy with this little exercise suggested in there:
Try this experiment -- the next time you have a conversation with a good friend, do not use the words "I", "me" or "my". This simple device prevents your from expressing your opinion and many are astonished both by how difficult it is and by how much the depth of listening goes up when you are no longer preoccupied by thinking of what you are going to say. Now try another experiment. Try living for a week in an "other centered" universe. In this universe others are not put in this world to serve your needs so you cannot legitimately get frustrated by the elderly lady ahead of you on the checkout lane who takes forever to put her change away or the stout man who stands in the aisle of the plane blocking you while he removes his magazine from his bag and tries vainly to stow it in an overhead bin that is patently too crammed to accept it. 

I tried it out last night at dinner with some journalists, and believe me, it was soooOooOooOoooo hard, but felt really good as well cos I wasn't focused on how I looked or appeared with my witty comments and charming self, but was concentrating on what they were saying and staying very present in the moment instead.


I'll let you know how it goes, cos I'll give myself this blog to still let me talk about myself. :) My week of "other centred-ness" will be dedicated to the residents of Luxembourg.

No comments:

Post a Comment