Monday, June 21, 2010

Dream now, dream often, dream always

I was walking home today with a veryyyyy big bag full of groceries from the supermarket 15 minutes away and grumbling in my head about the fact that getting about in Luxembourg was not as easy as, say, Shanghai where cabs were cheap and aplenty, or KL where I had a car.

The grumble didn't last for long, because I was suddenly taken aback by the beauty of the day while mentally planning what to cook for lunch. It was sunny, slightly breezy, the air was crisp, and just so fresh. And a thought hit me. Gosh, I'm living in Luxembourg!

So much has happened in the past two years, but I think I'm only realizing how much my life has changed right now.

Exactly 2 years ago, I was still in KL. A corporate slave, having a super time with awesome friends, always busy. It was a good life, but I was somehow always looking for something else. At that time, I dreamt of living abroad, of adventures, of love, of new experiences. I had no idea how that was going to happen, but I just knew I wanted to feel excited again.

 *my super job in KL

Out of the blue, a job opportunity came from Shanghai. So many people told me I was making a mistake, that it was crazy to leave behind the career that I had in DiGi. Despite the objections and shock that I was leaving, I knew that I had to do what I felt I had to do, and I thank god that while they disagreed with me, those who mattered still loved me in spite of my choice.

*selling my precious clothes at a flea market before I left KL

So I headed to Shanghai, with no clue of what to expect. I was lost and dejected for quite some time after I arrived. But told myself to hang on, and just take each day as it comes. Of course it helped that I had people back home egging me on, and telling me to make the most of my decision.

Let me tell you what happened. My job brought me to the Chinese entertainment industry hubs of HK, Beijing and TaiPei. I met Kobe Bryant. Daniel Wu. Stephen Foong. Quincy Jones. Clive Owens. Shu Qi. Christy Chung. Thomas Sabo... the list went on. I was even photographed by paparazzi after a night out. Even thinking back now, it still feels all very dream-like.

 
*life with the famous

Better still, I made some amazing friends I adore with all my heart. And most importantly, I met the love of my life. I remember writing in my journal a month after I arrived in Shanghai about the kind of love I was looking for and how I would not settle for any less. I had no idea where I'd find this man. But somehow, I got what I asked for. And so, this commitment-phobe got married. :) *mA*

*mon ange super

Then, as dreams MUST change in the course your life, for me, life in Shanghai got a bit too much. The glitz and the glamour was wonderful for a bit, but being a kampung girl at heart, I started wishing for a quality life. I wanted peace. I wanted joy and happiness. I dreamt and wished hard for a quiet and still fulfilling life with Hubby, and of course, in the midst of our busy lives in Shanghai, I had no idea how I was going to get that.

And out of the blue... here I am, living in Luxembourg.


I guess the point of this post is, I realize today, more than ever, how beautiful life is, and no matter what problems there seems to be at any point of the day, life right now is exactly as it is meant to be, and that I'm living out a dream I had at one point in the past, at this very moment.

Of course, I'll always still wish for more. And right now, I'd really really love to have a fun super job that I'd be excited to wake up for and pay me enough to afford super holidays and presents for my Super Sarios and Super Hubby. I also want to be able to spend more time with the people I love especially since they're so far away.

*ma famille super

I have no idea how that's gonna happen either, but I'll just continue wishing while I take stock and appreciate the beauty of my simple dream life right now.

So, dream my loved ones. The best dreams always come true. Those that don't are dreams that aren't good enough for you.

4 comments:

  1. u make me cry with this post.n smile too. u impress me on your love for your parents n siblings.good daughter, jehjeh and now wife.

    yes, live for the present n the dreams; never give up. thank God for all His provisions n plans, He will always abide by you, just seek Him n find comfort.

    heather , pls ask william if the south of france is worth visiting anymore. i've heard so much negative comments about the riveira. yi n i leaving for barcelona this fri but haven't yet firmed up our itinerary. we hav to let go of seville n granada, for me, reluctantly. thinking of taking the bus frm barcelona to arles, avignon & marseilles then to cinque terre (must) and end up in florence by 4th july. or shd we just skip southern france? am kinda worried n stressed bc yi still has exams (yeah, the dutch masters program includes exams, so strange) n so many things to tie up b4 friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunty Terri,

    Hugs :) what's life without love and family, right?

    Re. travel plans: William says yes, he loves the riviera. very nice. BUT the only thing is that because the people there are very rich, it's a super snobby place, and very expensive too.

    He also says Avignon is nice and def worth visiting, and you MUST see the pope's palace which is gorgeous. Marseilles is very dirty, according to him, but worth a look if you're on the way. Also, take care of your bag, cos there's a lot of pickpockets.

    I'm off to Paris with William 1st to 4th July for his first break - also in time for the sales which starts 30th June. :p

    I think I might not be able to make it to Florence cos saving up for mum's visit which (CROSSING TOES AND FINGERS) should happen within the next few months.

    Lemme know if you need anymore info on France and I'll get William to answer them, k?

    Love your posts and can't stop checking back for your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, will go arles, avignon n marseilles. does william anything about the bus ride from marseilles to italy? i don't want to fly even tho it's cheaper than train or bus to fly from barcelona to pisa, near florence, bc i want to do the cinque terre area.also my friend's sister was on this train in spain n when she woke up, only her handbag straps were hanging onn her shoulder--the bag was cut off when she fell asleep. aunty yoland's sister.

    europe is so so expensive when i do the math! didn't realize it until we went to belgium just for 1 1/2 days n the $ just disappeared. we didn't even shop. ok, i got a nice scarf n pair of cheap flats frm urban outfitters n yi ablouse frm morgan, tt's all but be came back 300 euros poorer. i was shocked! how to pass the next few weeks when we hav to pay for accomodatn n eat every meal out?? feel SO guilty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!!!
    SO EXPENSIVEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

    eating out is the killer! and transport! and accommodation! i mean, you can get a dress from H&M for the price of one appetizer!!!!!! and another dress from ZARA for the price of a main course!!!!! and three basic tops from H&M for the price of a 5-minute cab ride!!!!!

    the moral of the story: better to shop than to eat :)

    i also had a bad experience in barcelona a few years back. was in the subway, and giving way to an old couple who looked so kesian (the old woman looked like she was tripping and about to fall cos the train was coming to a stop). next thing i know, when i turned, i felt the old man's hand in my bag, and thank god i was quick enough to pull it back, but before I could say anything, both of them disappeared cos the train doors were opening.

    you really need to have a zipped up bag tucked to your body, and your hands on it ALL THE TIME. It's crazy!

    And no, William doesn't know anything bout bus from Marseilles to Italy...

    ReplyDelete