Saturday, June 26, 2010

Don't Waste!

Last Saturday, Super Hubby and I went to the bi-weekly market in the Center.

I was so excited to see rows and rows of fruit and already mentally planning my blog post to brag (to mummy and daddy) about the wonderful plums and cherries and peaches and apricots that I would be eating.


So, we bought a kilo worth of cherries (so sweet and juicy), and another kilo worth of apricots and plums. The minute they handed us our purchases, I took out a plum, and happily bit into it. My smile turned into an involuntary frown. IT WAS SO FREAKING SOUR!

The apricot was the same, and I was devastated! It was supposed to be my diet for the next few days (been overloading on too much rich food and thought I'd detox with fruits and veges).

Anyway, to cut the long story short (and spare you my mental overdrive), my insistence on not throwing away and wasting the fruits led me to a very interesting discovery and creation of my own: Sugar, olive oil and kikkoman soy sauce is perfect as a salad dressing, especially for fruits. 

All you need to do is chop up a bowl of juicy sour fruits, toss them with a small teaspoon of sugar so it coats every piece slightly. Then pour in the mixture of (one tablespoon of Kikkoman and 2 tablespoons of olive oil) dressing, and you have yourself and very very very delish  and appetizing salad which goes well with everything.

Two of the four meals I had with the 1 kilo of fruits. 

I might be off to get myself more fruit today. Hopefully, they're sour!

1 comment:

  1. we bought soMe good cherries one day but by the time we got home they went soft n on way to rot (never suffocated cherries in a bag) so when i fried some pork chops, i added the cherries; was pretty good. europe does tt to ppl like us: waste not :)))

    ReplyDelete