Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Luxembourg's National Day and Trier in Germany

Yesterday was Luxembourg's biggest party in the year to celebrate their National Day and the birthday of the Grand Duke Jean de Luxembourg on the 23rd June.

I decided to brave the crowds despite being warned that it would NOT be particularly exciting if I wasn't drunk out of my mind, and 16 years old.

So I gathered my tiny troop (William was working), and we headed to the center at 9.30pm. I tell you, it was packed, and all notions of Luxembourg being a tame, boring city was quickly dispelled when I saw the throngs of people clogging the streets and dancing away to the tunes of whatever music was at the corner, beer bottles strewn everywhere, the stench of marijuana permeating the air, drunken teenagers falling over their feet... it was WILD!


The wildness was understandable since it IS the one night where they get to go crazy. But what was a bit shocking to me was the fact that there were so many children there as well. Tiny tots pushed around in prams, 5-year olds holding on to their parents and looking lost... And the amount of very very very very drunk kids - who looked all of 12 years old!


I am sorry to disappoint and have no further party pictures because we three boring girls found ourselves a quiet corner away from the crowd, and talked about children (to have or not to have) and travels whilst waiting for the fireworks show slated for 11.30pm.

(1 pint of beer 4.50 euro, 1 small bottle of coke 2.50 euro) 


The fireworks were spectacular and worth the wait, though next year I'm going to take the Super Bosses' offer and stay at the room in the hotel with a view instead of going into town.

xxx

So because of the celebrations, today is a public holiday, meaning Super Hubby's off!

I decided to drag him out of Luxembourg to visit Trier (in neighbouring Germany), which I went once before and liked a lot because it was a small bustling, busy town on the weekdays (everything is closed on Sundays).


Trying to be artistic while waiting for the train.
The train ride costs 8.40euros per person (return), for a 40-minute ride. Cheap!

The station, and the beautiful views on the train.

Some old structure which is probably very important cos there were tour buses and tons of tourists snapping pictures. I couldn't be bothered to find out what it was cos I was starving.

William with his makan. 
Rump steak with fries (perfectly done) and a goat cheese salad (which he said was disgusting), 
and which I finished to avoid wastage (as usual).
Now you see why he's so skinny and I'm so....

My absolutely perfect and delicious liver and blood sausage with potatoes and onions, German-style. 
So good!

Total Damage: 44.10 euro for all the food, 1 radler (beer with lemonade), 1 large bottle of mineral water (which was more expensive than the beer), and 1 latte machiato. 
Germany is definitely cheaper than Luxembourg.

We ended up not doing any sightseeing cos we were distracted by the sales signs everywhere, and because William has no summer clothes at all. Here are our spoils after 2 hours, as we waited for the train to get back to Luxembourg in time to cook dinner and watch the 8pm match. 

Trains between Luxembourg and Trier run every hour, so it was extremely convenient.

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

1 comment: