Friday, June 4, 2010

Cepat dimasak, sedap dimakan

So this post is about food.

I normally eat out for lunch and dinner. Been lucky enough to have the hotel as my mainstay makan place the past few weeks, and most of the time, I get to eat with the S's and their guests. Other times, people have been kind enough to take me out for very nice dinners and I've amassed quite a few favourite places in Luxembourg that you all will enjoy when you come visit (not so subtle hint).

But this post is not about that kind of food. I still am too high class shy to take my camera out and snap away when we dine out, so you will have to come and see how good the food is when you come here yourself. :)

This post is about two of my very yummy 5-minute meals done in my very anything goes east meets west innovative style of cooking because here in Luxembourg, you can find quite a bit of Asian food stuff. Not everything necessary, but enough to be able to improvise.

---------

Meal #1: Kon Low Kuey Teow

Ingredients:
1 portion of Thai Flat Rice Noodles
3 teaspoon sambal olek
1 tablespoon thai garlic chili sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil

Cooking time:
3 minutes

 the condiments

 First, boil the kuey teow

 While the noodles are cooking, mix the condiments to make the sauce

And voila! Makan time!
I tell you, it may look like nothing, but it sure rivals a lot of the Asian food I have had here! 
Sooooooo good!

-------

Meal #2: Cream Pasta Ala Sambal Olek 
 (You will find a lot of Sambal Olek in my diet until Mummy comes visit and brings me the real thing - Sambal Chili Padi Sabah!)

Ingredients:
1 portion penne pasta
3 tomatoes
2 onions
1 tablespoon butter
A dollop of fresh cream
1 tablespoon Sambal Olek

Cooking time: 15 minutes

The other stuff with my trusty sambal olek

First, you boil the tomatoes. 
(While the tomatoes are boiling, faster chop up the onions)
**Note that I cooked this using only one pot, and I'll tell you how

Then, you take the tomatoes out of the pot, put some salt and olive oil in the water that boiled the tomatoes, and put the pasta into that same water and pot that boiled the tomatoes...
you see how much water and gas I'm saving?

While the pasta is boiling, you peel the skin of the tomatoes mash them up, place them next to the onions, and wait for the pasta to be al dente.

Then, you drain the pasta and quickly rinse the (same) pot, and put the butter in the pot and start to saute the onions. After the onions are soft, you put in the tomatoes and sambal olek, bring it to boil, and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

Then, you pour in the cream. 
Then, the pasta.

 And again, Voila! 

I'm so easy to please!

3 comments:

  1. hah, now u r the food blogger, eh? our meals these days r just as fast n simple...

    ReplyDelete
  2. WAH!!!!! Jie, it looks soo good!!
    make me some when i go visit you guys okay???
    promise ah!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks good......now want to lawan towkay ah? wdr9393

    ReplyDelete