Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Lovely Brussels Weekend (Part 1)

So this is a story about us in Brussels two days ago.

Super Dr. D and Mdm M (henceforth called Super M's) wanted to treat Super Hubs and I to a little weekend getaway as a pre-birthday treat for me ( I know, I'm so lucky, kan?). So, we took off early Sat morning. I was excited as usual. You know me. Anything that involves travel, food and pictures, I'm very game for.

We arrived around 10.30am (I thank god I didn't snore in the car during the 2 hour drive. I DID drool though, but that's okay, no one noticed) and checked into the Sofitel Brussels Le Louis (click click click for hotel pics. My photog skills couldn't do justice to the place). Ah. Such beauty. The lobby made me feel like I was in Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. When I grow up, I want to be rich and be able to afford stays like this.

 I did manage to capture our bed and the Hermes toiletry.
So classy can die. 

So, this was meant to be a food-filled trip, with shopping interspersed. Super Mdm M and I predicted that with our hubbies around, shopping was likely to be quite stressful (and very unlike our first trip there), and this theory was proven in our first stop at a flea market. I for one love flea markets (or bargains of any sort), but with the men tagging along disinterestedly, we quickly sat down for coffees instead.

Thats the flea market in the background.

J'adore Super M's! :)

We drove around town as Dr D explained the sights. It was such a pretty day! The weather reports predicted rain but it was sunny as can be (and there was only a quick shower on the afternoon which lasted all of 20 minutes). It WAS super cold though.





Having the Super M's as our Brussel guides were amazing for (at least) three reasons. 
1. They used to live here as university students and could tell us the progress of this city that they call their favourite in Europe (after Berlin).
2. Dr. D is a very important member of the EU medical association and has amazing insight into EU issues and all the stuff happening right here in Brussels, and had me fascinated for hours with his stories.
3. They often visit their two sons here who are university students living in Brussels, and always always try out new restaurants every time they visit, so they know where to eat. 

Which brings me to our lunch. Such a fun experience!

We went to Le Fourneau (which means 'stove') in French. It's a cool concept. You can choose to sit at the usual tables, or you can choose to sit at the bar, which surrounds the kitchen. Which means you can dangle your feet off the high stools and watch the chefs cook your food. 


And the food was awesome-possum! I didn't take many pictures of the eats cos I kept forgetting, and only would remember after taking my first bite. Which really doesn't help because the portions are tiny and a bite would mean half the dish is gone. But that's the whole concept of the place. I guess they took the idea off the Japanese (Sushi bar), and so you kinda eat and also see what the other guests are eating. In fact, I ordered two of my dishes after seeing two other people eat it, and I just pointed it to the waitress and told her it was what I wanted. I love watching chefs at work (who would've guessed, huh :p) and this was such a treat. To watch them prepare my food and watch it go from the chef to me in less than ten seconds!

Here are three pictures that I managed to take. Which was about one-tenth of what we ate. Anyways. At least I tried.

This was one of my dishes. 
Cepe (a kind of mushroom) foam soup on 'moler' (1/2 cooked egg). 
So yummy!

One of Dr. D's dishes. Cod Fish.
So flavorful! I am salivating again.

I am personally not a fan of creme brulee. But this was out of this world! 
It was so light, not too sweet, and mixed with strawberries under: TO DIE FOR!!!!

Lunch was 150 euro for the four of us. We each had 3 dishes + 1 dessert, the men had some wine, Mdm M had 2 bottles of coke, and I drank most of the two (big) bottles of water.

After that (VERY HEAVY) lunch, Super Hubs proclaimed that it was time for siesta... and (surprise, surprise) Dr D agreed. So we trooped back to the hotel where I made plans with Mdm M to go shopping but canceled cos I fell asleep the moment my head touched the pillow.

... to be continued.

Next up: a wonderful dinner and day 2 in Brussels.

In the meantime, what I wore on day one:

Sweater: Kookai, Luxembourg.
Shorts: Topshop, KL.
Pashmina: A wonderful supplier in Shanghai.
Tights: M&S.
Shades: Coach, HK.

1 comment:

  1. i was just about to write something on the foam thing and all the molecular food trend n you have a pic on tt!

    frankly, the foam thing looks like spit to me. no matter what the foam is, whether it's the most expensive ingredient, it still looks like spit or scum or frogs sperm, foam being the preferred word like 'passing on' instead of death. it's still the same. it's still yuks to me. ceps btw is porcini. i think.

    ReplyDelete