Sunday, August 15, 2010

Capbreton and the best breakfast EVER!

 The Capbreton lighthouse. 

I love Capbreton. It is a small commune in the French Pays-Basque area, 40km away from Biarritz. It is quite touristy, but the difference is that it's tourists are mainly residents from around the area - families enjoying their weekend outings, fathers and sons fishing, people cycling, kids rollerblading - a very down to earth and rustic sort of touristy, if you know what I mean.


We went twice, the first time at night for some dessert with my MIL and JM, and the other time just Super Hubs and me for breakfast, which I shall get to soon. The atmosphere of that little area was buzzing in a very peaceful, happy sort of way.


It's a small little port, with sailboats and fishboats docked, and a small little wet market right next to the pier. When we went the first time at night, we saw the fishboats head out and Super Hubs told me they do this every night, and the next morning, they come back with the freshest, most succulent seafood to sell at the market. Each market stall owner fishes their own seafood, and does not supply it anywhere else. If there isn't good fish, then the stall doesn't open.

Fish stall overlooking the pier

That bit of information gave me an idea, and I bugged Super Hubs to go back EARLY the next morning, so I could have my dream breakfast. He wasn't very enthusiastic, but obliged to avoid any tantrums.

So, the next morning we arrived at around 10am, and Capbreton was already buzzing with people doing their morning exercise, walking, fishing... And I headed straight to the tiny market. I was nervous cos as we were driving there, Super Hubs said that because of the weather, many stalls won't be open. I scolded him, "Don't be negative! Touch wood!" and made him touch his own head. ;p

So cute. Such a big rod for such a small boy.
I stared at him for the longest time, and he was very serious abt his fishing.

Anways, cutting the long story short. There were not too many stalls open. But that didn't really matter, cos the one stall that I wanted was open.


 *TA-DA!*

And my dream breakfast came true.
The face of utter bliss.
Sidenote, see the empty stalls behind?

We had 12 of the freshest local oysters in the world for only 5 euros, sat at the side of the pier, while the many people who walked past us were amused and each said smilingly, "bon apetit!" I still remember the taste of the oysters, with just a slight squeeze of lemon juice - such a delight I can't begin to describe it. I mean, I love oysters, but these were just out of the world!


Even Super Hubs who doesn't normally eat breakfast was popping the oysters like no tomorrow and I had to eat quickly in case he took my share :p.


 Hmmmm. My idea of heaven.

6 comments:

  1. Wow what a good idea for breakfast !! I will try it some day :)

    NL

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can imagine how it was like. eating the freshest raw oysters for breakfast, like the birds.what a great life:DD

    ReplyDelete
  3. 10 am ....early meh? wdr 9393

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i 'm going to Sydney on Wednesday......revenge...wait la...

    ReplyDelete
  6. NL: Try it whenever you have access to super fresh ones :) it's simply amazing!

    Aunty Terri: I want some now... pity Lux is so far away from the sea.

    Daddy: 10am is very early for holidays! And I'm sure the ones in Sydney not as nice as mine :p

    ReplyDelete