Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Pays Basque - All about (home-cooked) food

Before we set off on this holiday, I planned a lovely wardrobe in my suitcase. Space wasn't a constraint because we were driving, so I prepared sundresses and pretty cardigans (to layer in case the weather got cold) for the beach and sightseeing, lovely LBD's for dinners at nice restaurants, gorgeous heels for jeans when I feel like looking chic, the list went on. I had an outfit a day, and I was planning on looking very very pretty.

Little did I know, there was absolutely no use for any of that, and I ended up wearing shorts and big tees most of the trip. Why? Because we ate soooo much and lazed at the house most of the time, making me feel like a fatty who just needed to hide her bloated tummy.

But I have absolutely no regrets for the 2kgs that I gained, cos the food was so good!!! We didn't eat out much (in fact, we only ate out twice - and I'll blog about that separately), because my MIL and her hubby-to-be JM stocked the fridge with so much goodies that there was really not much point eating out.

When we woke up, there would be fresh baguettes on the table, and a new packet of meat from the boucherie (butcher) that we'd cook on the BBQ grill outdoors.


The thing about this area is the pride that they have in their meat, veges and fruits. To them, their produce is the best of the best in the world, and I have to agree.

The excellence was evident in the fact that we never had to do much cooking. Our meats needed no more than a quick grill and some pepper and salt, but tasted absolutely out of this world. The amount of meat we ate was enormous. I'd even go so far as to say that in the 8 days we were there, we probably ate up to an entire cow and an entire pig.


Veges were lightly tossed with olive oil, also from the region. And the fruits, oh the fruits! I have now become a peach and melon snob after a week of nothing but the sweetest, honey-est, juiciest peaches and melons everyday.

My super MIL also brought out her stash of assorted homemade pates, foie gras - and we near cleaned out her supply with Super Hubs and I polishing almost a tub a day.


We also drank copious amounts of wine and rose, ate a tonne of ham, chorizo, cheeses and beautiful baguettes...

On her off-days, my MIL made me the lasagne I had heard so much about...

... and an old-school French beef stew thing that I want to learn how to make:

On another off day, mother and son also got together to make Pot-au-Feu:

Now you see where the 2kgs came from?

2 comments:

  1. i just love tt 3rd photo combo of fruits n salads; it's SO europe! i WISH i can eat tt now n the melon HAS to be from the med, not anywhere else. so tt's where william got his talent n interest in cooking from, his mom. you ate all the food i ate in 2 1/2 months! i just am stunned by the amount of food n yes, totally agree, tt with produce as fresh as those in europe, you don't need anything but olive oil, s & p. does tt mean places like india have stale produce so they need lots of spices? hm, i'm beginning to suspect tt.

    am waiting to see u fatten up your skinny mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha! Not possible! I've been trying for years, to no avail. She eats more than me, and I think the last time I was her size was when I was 10 years old. :-/ or maybe 8.

    ReplyDelete