Saturday, June 4, 2011

A lousy narration. With a point.

I'm in a thoughtful mood.
And I had some food for thought this afternoon.

Most of you who know me well know that while pretending to be European these days, I still get my (more than) daily dose of Cheena-ism from the youtube-like websites (youku.com and tudou.com) that I got hooked on whilst living in Shanghai.

Every evening, I need my fix of 康熙来了. How I love 小S and 蔡康永. It's pure mindless entertainment, but I absolutely love, love, love it. I sit next to Super Hubs who watches the news and other serious french channels, with my laptop next to me and headphones in my ears, and laugh till I shake sometimes. J'adore the show. So much.

Okay... I've digressed.

Back to my story about deep thoughts.

So, today being the weekend, my fave show doesn't air. So I looked around for some stuff to watch whilst painting my nails. And it wasn't easy cos so many shows can't be watched from outside China. Some sort of copyright/ piracy issue. *thinks about the irony as I roll my eyes*

Sigh. I've digressed again.

Anyway, I came across 鲁豫有约, which is kind of like the asian "Oprah". And in the episode I finally settled on, she was interviewing 周迅, a multi-award winning actress who I never had too much interest in because I had never watched any of the movies she acted in. Mainly cos I'm such a mainstream chick that I've never had an affinity for award winning movies cos they're just too artsy and slow for me. One of my favorite feel good movies is White Chicks. So what?!? I like to laugh!!! *defensive in case I'm being stereotyped cos of my movie choices*

I digressed again, huh?

Okay. As I was saying. 鲁豫 was interviewing 周迅, who surprised me by being sweet, down to earth, witty and funny, and she was talking about her life and thoughts about winning awards all over the world, her love life, her lack of it, her interests, and all that jazz.

... YOU KNOW WHAT? I so suck at narrating stories.

Anyway. I promise there is a point to all this.

Basically, what made me think was this thing she said about life in general. She said that after winning her first award, she was happy, but almost at once, realized how fleeting everything was. Going onto stage to pick up her award, basking in the applause, it all lasted for 5 minutes. Then it passed. After all those months of filming the movie, that was it. She'd achieved the highest high. BUT THAT WAS IT! Then she realised something important. No one should ever dwell too much on the highs and lows of life. That it was important to not be too depressed about failure, nor too big-headed about success, because that too, will pass. For sure. 

I really don't do justice to what she said.

But the words struck a chord in me because I've always strived for 'success' and so-called 'perfection'. And she made me realize that as long as I enjoyed the journey, the end results, which could either be exhilarating or  demoralizing, didn't really matter, because those feelings would pass anyhow. And after that, I get to go on with another part of my journey.

I feel I'm not even doing justice to what I think. But in my head, it's really profound.

Anyhoo, watch it here if you understand mandarin and are interested:
http://www.tudou.com/playlist/p/a66676i86171709.html

4 comments:

  1. wow. tt's a great price of thought and advice. everyone has a cross to bear and mine (spelt WEY) is too heavy this week so this post comes very timely. thanks for sharing n chin up:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) chin up back to you too, and think of how cute Wey was for Mother's day :) Hugs and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a pearl of wisdom which I'll have to remember. What fantastic advice. Thanks for the link, Heather. I'll check it out. I normally try to find Chinese series/movies/shows to improve my mandarin. Other than youtube, I didn't know these other similar websites existed. Do you any others that you can share?

    ReplyDelete
  4. One's www.youku.com and the other's www.tudou.com
    But lately, I've been having problems accessing the shows, and think they're getting very serious about not allowing viewing outside of china :-(

    ReplyDelete