Thursday, March 31, 2011

Of the french teacher and her iron fist


My french speaking and understanding has accelerated recently with the new semester and new professor who I hated feared for the first few weeks because she was strict and very scary. She's pushing the class so hard, sometimes when I get out, the world spins, and I am left reeling with the enormity of everything else I have to learn.  

In the past few weeks, my performance in class has been a far cry from the time I was top student in the easy peasy super beginner's class a mere few months ago. 

BUT because I am innately kiasu, I've been having to go home and actually sit and revise and study and practice every single day after class. This is all so when I get called on, I can answer smugly and correctly like the teacher's pet I want to be again. Yes, yes, I am aware I have an inordinate need for approval and recognition. :-x So what?!? *defensive* 

Je voudrais parle bien le français! 

Anyways, the moral of the story is: It's good when you get your butt kicked sometimes. You advance further than you ever could have sitting on your pretty ass.  
il n'y a pas de soleil aujourd'hui
(there is no sun today) 

.

5 comments:

  1. tt's so true about doing better when your butt gets kicked:D

    i've always wanted to learn french but look at you, you are learning it in europe from a real french teacher n practicing it at home with hub.

    btw looks like yi'll be working in shanghai. it's both :D and :( for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on ya. What doesn't drive you bonkers makes you kick butt back. Congrats.

    And well I care what my teacher thinks about me too :)


    Ps: My own blog platform has been unstable and I think I somehow lost one of your comments when I was trying to reply it :P sorree

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aunty terri: YOU HAVE TO BE THRILLED!!!! YOU MUST!!!! you can visit her so often :) and eat as much at spicy joint as possible! Help me hug and congratulate her?

    Aileen: Why cannot go to ur blog anymore? :-( i miss my fix of your wit and rockstar's cheeky pics!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ?? Can go, just that it goes down a lot because it's an experimental platform friends and my hub built to mess about on so it's not blocked in China while still having English user interface. But I lose a lot of hits, messages, the occasional photo... that's friendship for you :) I'll probably move soon tho, when they start messing with something else

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) aileen: yes, i can finally go on now! hope the platform stabilizes soon :)

    ReplyDelete